JPC-PAC turf war: Heads of Committees meet Speaker
New Delhi: The turf war between the Joint
Parliamentary Committee (JPC) and the Public Accounts
Committee (PAC) on 2G Spectrum probe on Friday reached Lok Sabha
Speaker Meira Kumar with heads of the two committees meeting
her and presenting their points of view to her.
During the meeting with the Speaker, JPC Chief P C
Chacko argued that the PAC should confine to examining the CAG
report while PAC Chairman Murli Manohar Joshi countered it
saying he could not go back as he had started the probe much
before constituting the JPC, sources said.
When contacted, Chacko told PTI, "There was a consensus
in the JPC meeting that PAC might be holding a probe parallel
to JPC by going beyond its specific mandate. Thats why we
decided to approach the Speaker."
He said both he and Joshi made representation before the
Speaker that two Parliamentary committees producing two
different reports on same issue would not be a "healthy
Now, it is for the Speaker to take a final decision "if
at all there is a conflict", Chacko said.
The Speaker, who is the only person having authority to
adjudicate in such matters, heard both Chacko and Joshi and
her decision is awaited.
After the first meeting of the 30-member JPC on March
24, Chacko had complained to the Speaker that PAC could be
encroaching upon its turf in the probe in 2G Spectrum scam and
sought her intervention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!