JPC probe sought into coal block allocation scam
New Delhi: The Left sought to spoil the celebratory mood of the UPA`s third anniversary today, with a CPI-M member demanding a JPC probe into an alleged coal scam which has reportedly caused a loss of over Rs 1.8 lakh crore to the exchequer.
"Three years of the UPA government have seen scam after scam. Now we have yet another scam. CAG report (on coal scam) has not been placed in Parliament but estimates show that this scam is more than the 2G spectrum scam," CPI-M member Bansa Gopal Chowdhury said during Zero Hour in Lok Sabha.
Noting that coal mines were nationalised by then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi to the benefit of the country and its workers, he said, "Since 2004, coal blocks are being leased to private sector.....Public sector Coal India Limited (CIL) is now being hijacked by private companies."
He said the CIL, a Maharatna company, has the financial strength to exploit the entire coal reserves in the country and there was no reason to allow private sector entry.
Chowdhury claimed that the private companies were taking over large chunks of land from farmers without paying any compensation to them. Of the 155 coal blocks given to the private sector, no work has begun in 124 of them, he claimed.
Alleging that national resources were being looted, the CPI(M) member demanded a thorough probe into the "scam" by a Joint Parliamentary Committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog