JPC probe sought into coal block allocation scam
New Delhi: The Left sought to spoil the celebratory mood of the UPA`s third anniversary today, with a CPI-M member demanding a JPC probe into an alleged coal scam which has reportedly caused a loss of over Rs 1.8 lakh crore to the exchequer.
"Three years of the UPA government have seen scam after scam. Now we have yet another scam. CAG report (on coal scam) has not been placed in Parliament but estimates show that this scam is more than the 2G spectrum scam," CPI-M member Bansa Gopal Chowdhury said during Zero Hour in Lok Sabha.
Noting that coal mines were nationalised by then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi to the benefit of the country and its workers, he said, "Since 2004, coal blocks are being leased to private sector.....Public sector Coal India Limited (CIL) is now being hijacked by private companies."
He said the CIL, a Maharatna company, has the financial strength to exploit the entire coal reserves in the country and there was no reason to allow private sector entry.
Chowdhury claimed that the private companies were taking over large chunks of land from farmers without paying any compensation to them. Of the 155 coal blocks given to the private sector, no work has begun in 124 of them, he claimed.
Alleging that national resources were being looted, the CPI(M) member demanded a thorough probe into the "scam" by a Joint Parliamentary Committee.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!