JPC report: Govt asks opposition to refrain from speculation
New Delhi: Under attack from the BJP and other opposition parties over the draft JPC report on 2G scam, the government on Friday said the report is not yet "finalised" and requested the media and the opposition to "refrain" from "speculation".
"The JPC report is yet to be finalised. JPC is going to meet, and once it is finalised, it shall be presented to Parliament. And that`s the time we all shall debate it because we will have to look at what the reasons are in the report for the conclusion that they have arrived at and we don`t know either at the moment," Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal said.
"So I request the opposition and the media to refrain from speculating and to wait so that a proper debate can take place, both within Parliament and outside it," he said.
The minister said, "We are now committing the same mistake as we did in the past. Without the CAG submitting its report to Parliament, the opposition started protesting, newspapers started writing well in advance and leakages of the report made public discourse very difficult.
"So I would suggest we should not commit the same mistake," he said.
The government is under fire from the opposition over the draft JPC report with the BJP saying that it appeared like a "Congress document" where attempts have been made to save its leaders including the Prime Minister.
The JPC report, which was circulated among members yesterday before its adoption on April 25, gave a clean chit to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on 2G spectrum allocation, saying he was "misled" by the then Telecom Minister A Raja whose assurances stood "belied".
The report also rubbishes the loss figure of Rs 1.76 lakh crore estimated by CAG, saying it was "ill-conceived".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Maharashtra Board HSC Examination Results 2016: (maharesult.nic.in) MSBSHSE Class 12th Result 2016, Maharashtra Board Plus two Result to be declared on May 25 (today)
- Six more arrested for attack on Punjab spiritual leader Sant Baba Ranjit Singh Dhadrianwale
- IPL 9: RCB skipper Virat Kohli 81-run short to create history this season
- Second seed Andy Murray battles into French Open second round
- Watch video: Furious and stormy young sun seeded life on Earth, says NASA