JPC should discuss my letters to PM on 2G: Yechury
New Delhi: As parties demanded Union Minister
Dayanidhi Maran`s resignation following charges of pay-offs in
2-G spectrum allocation, CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury on Wednesday asked the JPC to circulate to its members his letters written
to the Prime Minister on the issue since 2008.
"As these matters were brought to the attention of the
Prime Minister from as early as February, 2008, it would help
our investigation to ascertain what was the response or any
follow up action," he said in a letter to Joint Parliamentary
Committee Chairman P C Chacko.
"With increasing media reports emerging on the alleged
involvement of other previous ministers for telecommunications
like Dayanidhi Maran, the circulation of this material to the
JPC (members) would, in my opinion, be helpful in our
investigations," Yechury, himself a JPC member, said.
Reports said that Maran`s family-owned Sun TV Network was
a beneficiary of pay-offs by an overseas telecom firm.
Yechury said the Comptroller and Auditor General, in a
presentation to JPC, had concluded that "the entire process of
allocation of 2G Spectrum in January, 2008 lacked transparency
He said his first letter to the Prime Minister in February
2008 had also pointed towards this. The Left parties were then
supporting the UPA-I government from outside.
"Yet I was constrained to write this letter because of the
serious matters involved. This letter was written a few weeks
after the Department of Telecom issued 121 licences on 10th
January, 2008", the CPI(M) leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?