JPC to discuss PAC probe into 2G scam
New Delhi: The turf war over 2G Scam
inquiry has refused to die down with the Joint Parliamentary
Committee planning to discuss tomorrow whether the PAC,
chaired by senior BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi, has gone
beyond its mandate.
After discussing the issue its first meeting
tomorrow, the JPC plans to write to the Public Accounts
Committee Chairman about the Committee confining itself to
inquiring issues over which the CAG report has made its
"We have no quarrel with them. Propriety demands that
we will point out to them. Joshiji is a very senior member of
parliament and he also knows propriety is very important," JPC
Chairman P C Chacko said.
Maintaining that JPC, which has 30 members from
both the Houses, was constituted by a resolution passed by the
Parliament and the Terms of Reference (ToR) of the committee
was mentioned in it, Chacko told PTI, "our ToR need not be the
subject matter of another committee`s enquiry.
"There is an impropriety in that obviously and that we
want to point out to the committee."
He said two committees of Parliament submitting
contradictory reports or different reports to Parliament will
create a difficult situation.
"So normally, it is the precedent and it is the
practice and as far as some committees are concerned it is a
rule that the same topic will not be discussed by two
committees," Chacko said.
He said tomorrow`s meeting will also discuss the
issues including the number of meetings to be held in a week,
documents to be summoned, and the enquiry should start from
where to where.
"All these things will be decided then," he said.
The JPC is supposed to submit the report to Parliament by the
end of monsoon session and it will try to keep to that time
schedule, he said.
"And if absolutely necessary, then we will ask for
extension," Chacko said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray