JPC to question Fin Secy over 2G auction
New Delhi: The controversial March 25 note of
the Finance Ministry on 2G auction will be examined by the
Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) in its hearing next week
when Finance Secretary R S Gujaral will appear before it.
The JPC will question Gujaral on the note which was sent
to the PMO and suggested that P Chidambaram, the then Finance
Minister, could have prevented the scam.
The JPC, chaired by senior Congress MP PC Chacko, will
meet on January 11 and 12, sources said.
The covering letter to the note had said that the note
was seen by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee.
Earlier, the JPC had summoned Secretary Economic Affairs
R Gopalan and Gujaral on October 31 seeking their explanation
on why the 2G note was not provided to the Committee.
Gopalan had told the Committee that the note had nothing
new in it as it was a post facto compilation of documents on
the 2G issue, the sources said.
Most of the non-UPA members had reportedly told the
Finance Ministry official that they were not satisfied with
the reply and that the ministry should provide the Committee
with all documents, which had helped in the compilation of the
The Finance Ministry is learnt to have told the Committee
that it will come back to it with the relevant documents.
The opposition BJP has alleged that the Finance Ministry
note seen by Mukherjee has been tampered with.
On January 12, the Committee will also take oral evidence
of J S Sarma, who was former secretary of the Department of
Telecommunications from July 1, 2005 to July 17, 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony