JPC unlikely to call former Telecom ministers on 2G issue
New Delhi: Racing against time to prepare the draft report on 2G scam by September, the Joint Parliamentary Committee has decided to prune the number of witnesses, that may see some politicians including former Telecom ministers not being called before the panel.
The JPC proposes to prepare the draft report by September and table the final document before Parliament by the end of the Winter session after discussing it for two months.
"Because we have finished examining all the important witnesses - former TRAI chairmen, CAG, CBI, Finance Ministry and Law Ministry officials - now we have enough information to draft our report.
"But if the committee finds it necessary to summon more people we will discuss that. We have a long list of witnesses suggested by members. But they may not find it important to summon many of the names suggested earlier," Chacko said.
The term of the JPC, which has already been extended twice, ends in December this year.
Chacko said the panel is in possession of all important files regarding important decisions. It may not be "important now to call those people who took decisions."
"But we have an open mind," he said, adding, that "the approach is to minimise the number of people."
To a specific question on whether then Finance Minister P Chidambaram and former Telecom Minister A Raja would be summoned, Chacko said the panel has an open mind.
"I don`t know whether it is necessary to call X or Y. I cannot say, because whosoever we are calling is a collective decision. We will place this entire long list before the Committee on June 12...Whether it is necessary to call ministers and former ministers are the issues we have to decide," he said.
The JPC Chairman did not rule out the possibility of calling CBI officials again to get the latest update on agency`s investigations into the 2G case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!