Js Kalifulla takes oath as SC judge
New Delhi: Justice Fakir Muhammad Ibrahim
Kalifulla was Monday sworn in as a Supreme Court judge, raising the strength of the apex court to 26.
Chief Justice of India S H Kapadia administered the oath
of office to Justice Kalifulla, the former chief justice of
Jammu and Kashmir High Court.
Justice Kalifulla had taken charge as the Jammu and Kashmir High Court Chief Justice on September 18, last year.
He had joined the judiciary on March 2, 2000 when he was made
a permanent judge of the Madras High Court.
He was subsequently transferred to High Court of Jammu
and Kashmir and assumed charge of office on February 24, last
year and, thereafter, was appointed as the Acting Chief
Justice of the same court on April 7, 2011.
Born on July 23, 1951, Justice Kalifulla, who hails from
Karaikudi, Sivagangai District in Tamil Nadu, was enrolled as
an advocate on August 20, 1975 and was an active labour law
practitioner and also appeared for various public and private
sector undertakings, nationalised and scheduled banks.
He was later the standing counsel for the Tamil Nadu
State Electricity Board.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!