Judges accountability bill taking final shape: Moily
Bangalore: The Judges Standard and
Accountability bill is taking a final shape and will come up
before the Cabinet, Union Law and Justice Minister Veerappa
Moily said today.
Speaking to reporters here, he said the bill envisages
laying down standards, discipline and ethics to be followed by
"The bill is already taking final shape and is coming
up before the cabinet," he said.
Asked whether there was any proposal on selection of
judges in the wake of allegations of irregularities against
some judges, he said, "At present, whether the modus of
selection is right or not, new ideas are being discussed.
"We have not made up our mind on how to proceed. The
debate is on and we are looking into the matter."
On whether there should be a rule relating to the
appointment of judges of district courts, he said this was a
state subject and added that a joint meeting of chief
ministers and chief justices was held to discuss the issue of
National Judicial Service.
On disruption of work following a fortnight long
agitation by advocates of Rajasthan High Court and its lower
courts over alleged anomalies in recent recruitment of
additional district judges, he said a committee had been
appointed to look into the matter and "the agitation would die
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145