Judges fair in hearing cases? Nonsense, says Justice Sachar
New Delhi: Former Chief Justice of Delhi
High Court Rajinder Sachar on Saturday said it is "nonsense" if a
judge claims to be "fair and true" when a matter comes up for
hearing before him.
"We all judges may say that when a matter comes before
us for hearing, we all are fair to it, do not hold any
prejudices against it and have no personal interest, but let
me tell you, it`s all nonsense," Justice Sachar said.
He was speaking at the release of biographical book `A
Journey Less Travelled`, written by former Chief Justice of
Punjab and Haryana High Court Debi Singh Tewatia.
Sachar also hailed Justice Tewatia as a true jurist and
Discussing about the autobiography, the former Delhi
High Court judge said the book included "how a judge should
behave and how a person can fight with adverse circumstances
and yet not lose his morals".
Former CJI Justice J S Verma released the book saying,
"It is very timely and it has been written at a time when all
the institutions of governance are getting values. This book
is for those who are already in the system and for those who
would be coming in this system in future."
He said the judges are in news for all bad reasons.
"I am happy that the present Chief Justice of India is
S H Kapadia. Now I have reasons to be comfortable," he said.
"When one of my judgements was reversed by the Supreme
Court, I too was upset and had decided to resign. My brother
then asked why I am upset, to this I answered him that as a
lawyer I can argue that it`s a wrong decision but as a judge I
have to accept it," Justice Verma said.
He said according to him, an autobiography should be
judged by its truth, and it should be objective as well as
chronicle to the time.
The author should be identical to what he has written,
he said, adding all these things are there in the book.
Justice Tewatia thanked all guests for coming on the
book release programme.
Former Governor of Jharkhand Ved Marwah and former
Governor of Nagaland O P Sharma also graced the function.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr