`Judges may have to attend court wearing helmets`
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday deprecated the growing cult of violence unleashed by a section of lawyers in the country and observed that in the years to come judges may have to come to courts "wearing helmets" for their protection.
"In one instance a magistrate was thrashed right in the court premises by an advocate after being denied bail in a case. Perhaps in a few years from now, judges should come to courts wearing helmets," it said.
A bench of justices G S Singhvi and S J Mukhopadhya made the observation, while adjourning by two weeks a PIL complaining of large scale violence by hooligans in the Andhra Pradesh High Court and other places in the state over the separate Telangana agitation issue.
The apex court also mulled as to whether it should cancel the licences of the advocates engaged in such violent activities in the courts.
"It had happened in Allahabad, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka also. Will it not be proper for this court to cancel the licences of such advocates," the bench asked senior counsel R Venkatramani appearing for the state.
The apex court recalled an incident when a magistrate was assaulted in the court premises itself by an advocate after his client was denied the bail.
It is unfortunate that those who are supposed to fight for the rights of the people are indulging in such activities, the bench said.
The court made the remarks while dealing with advocate P V Krishnaiah`s plea for actions against the perpetrators of the violence and compensation for those killed and wounded in the ongoing two-year-old stir for the separate state.
The petitioner had contended that normal activities in the state, including those in courts were paralysed during the stir with the agitators hurling missiles at judges in court rooms and prevented them from functioning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum