Judicial integrity a matter of public expectation
Mumbai: With the issue of probity in judiciary being raised, Chief Justice of India S H Kapadia on Saturday said judicial integrity is a matter of strong public expectation and judges should meet it.
In the past, he said, the integrity of the judiciary was taken for granted. "Today, judicial integrity is a matter of strong public expectation.
"This is the vital difference you must keep in mind. And I expect the high court judges of the future and the entire judiciary to endeavour to fulfil this expectation of the people," he said addressing a distinguished gathering which included Prime Minister Manmohan singh and former and sitting judges of the High Court and the Supreme Court.
Stressing on the need to avoid judicial overeach, Justice Kapadia said if a question with political content is posed before the court and no legal standard is available before it to decide the matter, it should be left to the executive or legislature to sort it out.
"When a question is posed before the court, the court must find out what is the content of the question. If the content is political and if the content is such where there is no legal standard available before the court to apply and decide the matter, then the doctrine of deference should be applied and it should be left to the executive or the legislature as the case may be," he said.
Kapadia, who was speaking at the closing ceremony of the year-long sesquicentennial celebrations of the Bombay High Court, also emphasized the need to maintain judicial independence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!