Judicial reforms should have priority: Moily
Hyderabad: Judicial reforms are necessary to usher in other positive changes, said M Veerappa Moily, Union Minister for Corporate Affairs, here on Sunday.
Citing the example of Singapore, Moily, a former Law Minister, highlighted the importance of judicial reforms. "In Singapore, the economic situation was in doldrums. The first thing Singapore addressed was judicial reform. It is only thereafter the economic prosperity of Singapore came.
"Just like right to information, right to employment, I think the day should come when we should have the right to justice in this country. Then we can definitely take our society far ahead," he said in his convocation address at the NALSAR University of Law here.
"Indian judiciary always served the great cause. Whenever we find that there is some confusion in terms of justice system, it is always judiciary which led the country forward," said Moily.
Talking about legal education, he said, "My slogan for legal education is expansion, inclusion and excellence. Expansion means we will have more manpower to fuel an efficient justice system...It is estimated that reducing the pendency (of cases) alone can add about two percent to our GDP."
Diversification of legal profession, especially by including lawyers from less privileged communities, would enhance the potential for representative democracy, he said.
"By practising inclusion, US law schools have ensured that underprivileged communities have sufficient representation....None other than Barack Obama used to work for the colored underprivileged community in Chicago before entering politics."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs