Judicial reforms should have priority: Moily
Hyderabad: Judicial reforms are necessary to usher in other positive changes, said M Veerappa Moily, Union Minister for Corporate Affairs, here on Sunday.
Citing the example of Singapore, Moily, a former Law Minister, highlighted the importance of judicial reforms. "In Singapore, the economic situation was in doldrums. The first thing Singapore addressed was judicial reform. It is only thereafter the economic prosperity of Singapore came.
"Just like right to information, right to employment, I think the day should come when we should have the right to justice in this country. Then we can definitely take our society far ahead," he said in his convocation address at the NALSAR University of Law here.
"Indian judiciary always served the great cause. Whenever we find that there is some confusion in terms of justice system, it is always judiciary which led the country forward," said Moily.
Talking about legal education, he said, "My slogan for legal education is expansion, inclusion and excellence. Expansion means we will have more manpower to fuel an efficient justice system...It is estimated that reducing the pendency (of cases) alone can add about two percent to our GDP."
Diversification of legal profession, especially by including lawyers from less privileged communities, would enhance the potential for representative democracy, he said.
"By practising inclusion, US law schools have ensured that underprivileged communities have sufficient representation....None other than Barack Obama used to work for the colored underprivileged community in Chicago before entering politics."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months