Judicial reforms should have priority: Moily
Hyderabad: Judicial reforms are necessary to usher in other positive changes, said M Veerappa Moily, Union Minister for Corporate Affairs, here on Sunday.
Citing the example of Singapore, Moily, a former Law Minister, highlighted the importance of judicial reforms. "In Singapore, the economic situation was in doldrums. The first thing Singapore addressed was judicial reform. It is only thereafter the economic prosperity of Singapore came.
"Just like right to information, right to employment, I think the day should come when we should have the right to justice in this country. Then we can definitely take our society far ahead," he said in his convocation address at the NALSAR University of Law here.
"Indian judiciary always served the great cause. Whenever we find that there is some confusion in terms of justice system, it is always judiciary which led the country forward," said Moily.
Talking about legal education, he said, "My slogan for legal education is expansion, inclusion and excellence. Expansion means we will have more manpower to fuel an efficient justice system...It is estimated that reducing the pendency (of cases) alone can add about two percent to our GDP."
Diversification of legal profession, especially by including lawyers from less privileged communities, would enhance the potential for representative democracy, he said.
"By practising inclusion, US law schools have ensured that underprivileged communities have sufficient representation....None other than Barack Obama used to work for the colored underprivileged community in Chicago before entering politics."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Sterling, stocks skid as Brexit result agonisingly close
- REVEALED: Anil Kumble's first message to India captains Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Virat Kohli after appointment
- 'Mirzya' trailer alert! Harshvardhan Kapoor spells enchanting cast in a splendid tale by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra
- RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat to share dais with Leonardo DiCaprio in UK: Reports
- Oops! Salman Khan mocks Hollywood return Priyanka Chopra and Deepika Padukone, but WHY?