July 13 or Sept 13? Wikipedia war on Kasab’s b’day
Washington: At the time of Wednesday’s bombings in Mumbai, crowd-sourcing encyclopedia Wikipedia had listed Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Kasab’s birthday as July 13, 1987, attributing the date to a newspaper article written just days after the 26/11 2008 Mumbai attacks.
Another story purported to describe how the only attacker captured alive by police celebrated his 22nd birthday in Mumbai’s Arthur Road jail on September 13.
However, around an hour and a half after Wednesday’s attacks, the birth date was changed in the biographical text on Wikipedia to September 22, 1987, although the July 13 date was left under his photograph, according to the entry’s history page.
Minutes later, the next revision changed the date under the photograph to September 13.
Minutes after that, a Wikipedia contributor identified the changes as online “vandalism” and changed the date back to July, the Wall Street Journal reports
By then, of course, many newspapers had picked up the birthday story and Twitter spread it quickly as well.
The edits continue today, although now they seem to be all made by regular contributors under their account names, as opposed to several of Wednesday’s changes that were made anonymously and listed just IP addresses.
Currently, Kasab’s birthday is shown as “13 September 1987 (age 23) or 13 July 1987 (age 24)”.
Kasab has been sentenced to death for attacking Mumbai and killing 166 people on November 26, 2008, along with nine Pakistani terrorists.
He was found guilty of 80 offences, including waging war against the nation, which is punishable by the death penalty. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing