Jundal came to know about 26/11 plot in Pakistan
Mumbai: Arrested LeT operative Sayed Zabiuddin Ansari alias Abu Jundal has told interrogators that he had been briefed about the 26/11 terror strike four months in advance by the bosses of terror outfits in Pakistan where he went into hiding in 2006 and undergone terror training.
As Jundal had completed first year of MA (Hindi) course from K S K college in Beed, he was assigned the task of training the members of the 26/11 fidayen squad in that language so that the attackers would divert the attention of Indian security agencies by communicating in Hindi, a senior crime branch official said.
"In the month of August, a group including Jundal was informed by the LeT top members about the 26/11 operation. In the group, each one was given a different task (to handle). Jundal was told to teach Hindi to the attackers," he said, adding six officers have been questioning the alleged 26/11 handler.
According to the official, Jundal, who has been allowed to observe roza (fast) during Ramadan, has been cooperating with investigators standing a barrage of questions posed by them.
The officials suspect that Jundal kept in touch with the Indian nationals staying in Pakistan as well as here before and after the dastardly strike that left 166 people dead.
Police said that Jundal`s family members had been informed about his arrest.
The 30-year-old had even enrolled for Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in IT in 2001 in Beed. Besides studies, he also used to work in an electrical shop there.
Apparently impressed by the ultra-conservative views of `Ahl-e-Hadees`, Jundal finally subscribed to the sect in 2003.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'