`Jundal got regular info from Headley`
New Delhi: While he was training 12 terrorists in Muridke in Pakistan for the 26/11 terror attack, Zabiuddin Ansari alias Abu Jundal, the arrested Indian handler of the carnage, was getting continuous information about Mumbai from David Coleman Headley who was on a recce of the metropolis as a Lashkar-e-Taiba spy.
Revealing this to investigators, Jundal has said that 12 terrorists and not 10 had been selected to attack Mumbai.
Pakistani-American Headley was passing on "day-to-day" information about Mumbai to LeT chief Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, who in turn provided it to Jundal, who was training the terrorists at Muridke from 2007 till just before the attack on Nov 26, 2008, investigators said.
Headley has told a US court that he had done a recce of proposed targets ahead of the Nov 26, 2008 attacks by 10 Pakistani terrorists that left 166 people dead and 238 people injured in the worst terror attack on India.
Jundal, who is referred to as Sayyed Zakiuddin alias Abu Jundal (and not Jundal) in the first information report filed by Delhi Police in a Delhi court, has been undergoing rigorous interrogation by more than six probe agencies, including the National Investigation Agency, the Maharashtra Anti-terrorist Squad, Intelligence Bureau and a Special Team of Delhi Police.
Jundal is being grilled for "around 20 hours in a day", an investigative officer said. He was arrested at the Indira Gandhi International Airport here June 21 after his deportation from Saudi Arabia and sent to police custody till July 5.
Elaborating on Headley`s role, Jundal told investigators that he conspired with LeT and Pakistani military officers to launch the Mumbai attacks and other terrorist activities.
"Jundal had met Headley for a short period when he was in Pakistan`s Muridke training camp in 2007," the source in the investigating team told IANS, not wishing to be identified.
Jundal said between 2006 to 2008 Headley undertook "five spying missions in Mumbai" scouting targets for the 2008 attack on behalf of LeT and Pakistani ex-military officers.
"Between 2002 and 2005, Headley made several trips to Pakistan for terror training while simultaneously working as an informant for the US Drug Enforcement Administration," said the sources.
Headley was arrested in October 2009 at O`Hare International Airport on his way to Pakistan.
Headley was assigned by the LeT to work with a militant chief named Sajid Mir, also known as Sajid Majid, who allegedly became a lead plotter of the Mumbai attacks, Jundal has revealed.
"Jundal has not confirmed if Mir had any ties with the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI)," the officer said.
After Mir, Headley in January 2006 was put under the charge of an ISI officer named Major Samir Ali, who in turn referred him to a Major Iqbal, who became his main handler in Lahore during his recce mission in Mumbai.
Iqbal then introduced Headley to a man identified as Lieutenant Colonel Shah, who promised Headley financial support for terrorist operations against India.
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) joined the interrogation of Jundal Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo