Jundal`s prison: Home min, ATS, jail authorities to file reply
Mumbai: Union Home Ministry, Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad and jail authorities here are likely to file a reply next week on which prison the LeT operative and key 26/11 handler Sayed Zabiuddin Ansari alias Abu Jundal could be lodged.
"The special MCOCA court had on December 7 issued notices to Union Home ministry, state Anti-Terrorism Squad and the authorities of Mumbai`s Arthur Road and Pune`s Yerawada jail, and sought reply on which prison Jundal could be lodged," said Jundal`s lawyer Ejaz Naqvi.
Naqvi said, Jundal via video conferencing today from Tihar jail in Delhi, where he is currently lodged, told the court that he has already signed the Vakalatnama (permission given to lawyer to appear on behalf of the accused) and has sent it to the court.
The court adjourned the case till December 26.
Jundal was arrested on August 13 in connection with the Aurangabad arms haul case of 2006 and chargesheeted on November 3.
On May 8, 2006, a Maharashtra ATS team had chased a Tata Sumo and an Indica car on Chandwad-Manmad highway near Aurangabad and arrested three terror suspects and seized 30 kg RDX, 10 AK-47 assault rifles and 3,200 bullets.
The Indica was allegedly driven by Jundal, who managed to give police the slip.
Jundal, who hails from Beed district of Maharashtra, then allegedly drove to Malegaon and handed over the vehicle to an acquaintance.
In May 2006 itself, he escaped to Pakistan via Bangladesh on a fake passport obtained with the help of LeT operatives, according to the crime branch.
The special MCOCA court on August 17 had framed charges against the 21 arrested accused. Other accused were arrested in 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Kohli hits 26th hundred as India inch closer to win
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption