Junior`s case against Army Chief adjourned
Chandigarh: The Armed Forces Tribunal (AFT)
today adjourned till March one the case in which a Major
General has alleged that his Annual Confidential Report (ACR)
was "spoilt" by Chief of Army Staff General V K Singh after he
refused to change his date of birth.
The case was adjourned without any arguments, AFT sources
said here on Tuesday.
Major General T S Handa, in his petition before the Armed
Forces Tribunal (AFT) in April last year, had alleged that his
Annual Confidential Report (ACR) was "spoilt" by Chief of Army
Staff General V K Singh after he refused to change his date of
The Major General had alleged that this happened when he
was posted as deputy military secretary in the military
secretary branch and Gen Singh`s papers had gone to his branch
during Singh`s tenure as GOC 2 Corps Ambala.
Despite an outstanding career record in Army he was not
considered for the promotion to the rank of Lt Gen due to
adverse remarks recorded by Gen V K Singh in the capacity of
Army commander of Eastern Command.
Handa had alleged that he was "victimised" by Gen Singh
when he was posted in Ambala as General Officer Commanding
(GOC) of two Corps.
In December 2006, Maj Gen Handa (then a Brigadier) was
posted as the deputy military secretary, selection boards and
complaints, when Gen Singh (then a Lt Gen and GOC of 2 corps
Ambala) had asked the military secretary branch to change his
recorded date of birth from May 10, 1950 to May 10, 1951.
In his petition filed last year, Maj Gen Handa claimed
that the MS branch records the date of birth to be one filled
in the UPSC form by the candidate in his own hand, which in
his case was May 10, 1950.
Therefore, unless approved by the competent authority,
the date of birth can`t be amended by the MS branch as
requested by Gen V K Singh.
Handa alleged that Gen Singh believed that he was
responsible for not amending his date of birth.
"Else there was no reason for Gen Singh to have taken a
series of deliberate actions all aimed at ensuring that
further career progression of the applicant (Maj Gen Handa) is
effectively sealed," the petition said.
Handa alleged that his ACR was spoilt when Gen Singh was
posted as GOC-in-C of eastern Command and Handa was GOC 57
Mountain Division in the North East sector.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog