Jurisdiction of JERC for Goa, Union territories upheld
Chennai: The Madras High Court has upheld the
jurisdiction of a Joint Electricity Regulatory Commission
(JERC) for the state of Goa and Union Territories to entertain
applications for determination of tariff.
Dismissing a batch of petitions by AKS Alloys Private Ltd
and 31 other High Tension (HT) consumers of Puducherry,
Justice K Venkataraman said a conjoint reading of two clauses
the Electricity Act made it clear that a Joint Commission may
When the Commission was constituted, the question of
constituting the body comprising one member from each of the
participating states and Union Territories did not arise, the
The Centre, if so authorised by all participating states,
could constitute a Commission comprising members of its choice
and decide the number of members, he said and pointed out that
the Home Ministry had deliberated he question of participation
of the Puducherry Government at length and the territorial
government had accepted the constitution of the Commission.
The Electricity Department had filed its revision petition
before the Commission, stating that it proposed a 50 per cent
hike in demand charges and around 35 per cent increase in
energy charges for HT consumers.
The Centre submitted the Commission had been constituted
with one Chairperson or one Member. This had been done after
due consultation with all interested parties bearing in mind
the workload and cost of running the Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!