Jurists call for all-out effort to reform judicial system
Chandigarh: Mooting a joint all-out
effort by stakeholders for judicial reforms, eminent jusrists
from various countries on Sunday called for steps to check
corruption and bring greater accountability in judiciary.
Reforms cannot be brought single-handedly, Chief
Justice of Maldives Justice Abdulla Saeed said at the two-day
international conference of jurists on judicial reforms.
Referring to the recent judicial reforms introduced in
Maldives, Justice Saeed said the Supreme Court in his country
came into existence only in 2008, replacing the Judicial
Council, thereby giving complete control of the justice system
to the judiciary.
Justice Shamsuddin Choudhary, Judge of the High Court
Division of the Supreme Court of Bangladesh, said that
justice for all, particularly common people, can only be
achieved through judicial activism.
The Bench and the Bar together form a mighty force,
which was amply proved when this combination brought down the
"despotic rule" of General Parvez Musharraf in Pakistan, he
Choudhary also called for more cooperation in the
field among the countries of the SAARC region, since "we have
common problems" and should address them from a common
Justice Avdhesh Kumar Yadav, Judge of the Supreme
Court of Nepal, raised the issue of corruption and said that
no reform can be complete unless this issue is tackled.
"Corruption was a common problem in the SAARC region."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon