Jurists call for united fight against terrorism
New Delhi: Leading jurists from the Indian subcontinent on Saturday called out for concerted global efforts to combat the menace of terrorism.
"India is one of the biggest targets of terrorism. We have to combat it as a united force. Time has come for India and the entire globe to combat this menace. We need to take stern measures against anybody involved in terrorism or any such dastardly act. The international community should also be united in this aspect," Bangladesh Supreme Court judge Justice Shamsuddin Chaudhary said here.
He was addressing a conference, titled `Jurists on International Terrorism`, jointly organised by International Council of Jurists, All India Bar Association and Indian Council of Jurists here.
Hailing the execution of Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Kasab as a great victory for India, Justice Chaudhary said it was a good move on India`s part to show the world that it will not tolerate terrorist activities.
Union Minister Farooq Abdullah agreed with Justice Chaudhary`s view of fighting terrorism unitedly.
Abdullah said terrorists were taking advantage of India`s porous borders with Nepal to infiltrate into the country and added "unless both of us, and other countries co-operate, the menace of terrorism cannot be checked. We should plan accordingly and make our borders safer".
Former Chief Justice of India and Chairman of National Human Rights Commission, KG Balakrishnan said innocent human lives should be protected at any cost.
Adish C Aggarwala, President, International Council of Jurists and Convener, Indian Council of Jurists, also spoke on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?