Just suspend violence for talks: PC to Maoists
Kolkata: Making a fresh offer for talks,
Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on Wednesday asked Maoists to come
to the negotiating table by simply suspending violence without
laying down arms, or leaving their ideology behind.
Chidambaram also said that in no other time has the
country faced multiple security challenges like now and that
it is building capacity `brick by brick` to deal with them but
noted it will take time.
"In no other time has India faced multiple security
challenges. We face infiltration in J&K, Maoist and Naxalite
problems in central India, several insurgent and separatist
groups in North-East and threat of terror from a number of
groups," he told a special session of Bharat Chamber of
The Home Minister said the Centre and states like
West Bengal had urged Naxalites to suspend violence and come
to the table for talks.
"We are not asking them to shed their ideology or to lay
down arms, we are simply asking them to shed violence and come
for talks. These are conflicts which will take time to
resolve," he said.
He however maintained that Left Wing Extremism (LWE) is
a greater challenge to the country than terrorism in terms of
number of lives lost in violence.
Chidambaram also said India is vulnerable to terror
attacks as it is closest to the terror epicentre.
"No country is free from terror. We are more vulnerable
as we are closest to the epicentre of terror - Pakistan and
Afghanistan," he said.
"Former Afghan president Burhanuddin Rabbani was killed
yesterday in a highly protected area of Kabul ... No city is
completely invulnerable," he said.
"We try to be vigilant 24X7. We have asked the police
forces to be vigilant despite all the deficiencies.
"Capacity is not sufficient to pre-empt possible
attacks, for which intelligence gathering, investigation and a
counter-terrorism agency backed by advanced technical network
to bringing in all the data will have to be in place," he said
adding the Centre would build National Counter Terrorism
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- WATCH: PRODIGY! This 11-year-old from Odisha slum will now train at Bayern Munich
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- WATCH: What is PV Sindhu's equation with Saina Nehwal? Her reply will surprise you
- Iraq executions carried out without proper trial, fuelled by vengeance: UN
- India to buy 500 helicopters, 12 submarines, over 200 fighter jets in next 10 years: Report