Justice AK Ganguly case: BJP to raise issue in Parliament
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Facing criticism for allegedly sexually harassing a law intern, retired Supreme Court judge Justice AK Ganguly has gone on leave.
Ganguly went on two-day leave, starting Friday, citing personal reasons, according to a news report.
Currently serving as the chairman of the West Bengal Human Rights Commission, pressure has been mounting on him to quit the post in the wake of allegations of sexual harassment.
When asked about his resignation, Ganguly refused to comment on the issue and said that he had suffered a lot and sought privacy.
"Don`t disturb me. I have gone through a lot," he said.
Meanwhile, several political parties joined Trinamool Congress asking him to step down from his post after the apex court panel indicted him on the basis of prima facie evidence.
Congress leader Jagdambika Pal on Saturday said that Justice Ganguly should resign if he has any morals left. National Congress Party (NCP) leader Tariq Anwar said that the court should reconsider its decision in the case.
Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha, Sushma Swaraj, on Saturday tweeted, "Some one who has violated human rights cannot continue as Chairman of Human Rights Commission."
She also tweeted that Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) will raise the issue in the Parliament.
Some one who has violated human rights cannot continue as Chairman of Human Rights Commission. We will raise this matter in Parliament.
— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwarajbjp) December 7, 2013
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Cow slaughter should be banned across the country; Muslims should stop eating meat: Azam Khan
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!