Justice Dinakaran charged for destroying evidence
Chennai: Karnataka High Court Chief Justice P D Dinakaran landed in fresh trouble once again on Thursday when a case was filed against him by Kaveri Rajpuram villagers of Tamil Nadu of having destroyed the proof of encroachment of 600 acres of government land.
The complaint was entered in the community service register maintained by the police to register local disputes, bring parties together for inquiry and possible settlement. The procedure is followed not under the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC), but on police instructions. The complaint was registered at Kanakamma Chathiram police station.
The 66 villagers alleged that Mr. Dinakaran had occupied 600 acres of land in their village, classified as anatheenam, poramboke and grazing land. “He has fenced the area and cattle cannot enter the land. Now the fences are being removed by one Jaisudha, who is working in the High Court. He has been staying here for the last 10 days and removing the evidence,” V.M. Raman, one of the complainants, said.
“Over 200 men are staying in the estate and we are facing danger now,” one of the complainants said. They sought police protection. A copy of the complaint has been sent to the District Collector and the Superintendent of Police.
Meanwhile, 11 villagers submitted a memorandum to District Collector V. Palanikumar, claiming ownership of a portion of land identified as “encroached by a third party.” They produced documents to the district administration to support their claim.
In the memorandum, they said a major portion of the encroached land was owned by their families and the land had been classified as anatheenam since they had not paid the cess. They urged the government not to entertain pleas to distribute the land under the ‘2 acres land scheme’ to others as they were ready to remit the land cess and other pending charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore