Justice Ganguly case: Mamata seeks action, Delhi Police steps in
Zee Media Bureau
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has written a a letter to President Pranab Mukherjee, urging appropriate action against former Supreme Court judge AK Ganguly who has been indicted of "unwelcome behaviour".
"I have addressed a letter to the President of India for taking appropriate action urgently for the grave misconduct committed by retired Justice AK Ganguly. Strong action is essential at this moment to enable people to repose trust and faith to the sanctity of the high office he holds," Banerjee told reporters Thursday.
Meanwhile, the Delhi Police is today expected to record the statement of the law intern, who has made sexual harassment charges against Ganguly.
A three-member committee of sitting judges of the Supreme Court, which probed the charges of sexual harassment, held that the "statement of (victim) both written and oral, prima facie discloses an act of unwelcome behaviour (unwelcome verbal/non-verbal conduct of sexual nature) by Justice (retd.) AK Ganguly with her in the room in hotel Le Meridien".
The incident took place Dec 24, 2012.
Following the panel`s findings made public during the day, the Trinamool upped the ante against Ganguly, asking his resignation as the West Bengal Human Rights Commission.
Party MP Kalyan Banerjee not only said Ganguly should step down as the Commission`s chair but also urged police to initiate action against him.
"The committee in clear terms indicted Ganguly and after having found guilty of such heinous act, he should immediately resign. I would also urge police to immediately initiate action him," he said.
Another Trinamool parliamentarian, Sougata Roy, criticised the panel for naming the intern.
"The panel has taken refuge behind technicalities to say no action was called for as Ganguly has already demitted office after retirement. I think the panel should have recommended some action and it was also not correct on part of the panel in naming the girl who was the complainant in the case," Roy said.
Contacted for his reaction, Ganguly refused to comment.
Ever since the sexual harassment accusations against Ganguly became public, the Trinamool Congress has been demanding his resignation from the state human rights panel.
With IANS Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'