Justice Ganguly for increasing retirement age of judges
New Delhi: Justice AK Ganguly, who retired
as Supreme Court judge after delivering the 2G verdict, feels
there is a strong case for increasing the age of
superannuation of apex court judges, saying the 65 year age
limit has been "unreasonably fixed".
"A judge is not a football player, i.e. physical prowess
is not a prime requisite (to be a judge)," said Ganguly
expressing his views on superannuation of apex court judges.
He said "the position of a judge is one of maturity and
wisdom" and the retirement age of a judge should be "much more
flexible" as "before he gets to know the scheme of things" he
has to demit office.
Justice Ganguly, who was part of the bench which
cancelled the 122 licences for 2G spectrum, said the tenure of
the judge in the Supreme Court is "rather short" which is not
the case in major democratic countries in the world.
"While I say this for the Supreme Court judge, the same
should be true about high court judges also. The position of a
judge is one of maturity and wisdom. It is accepted
universally that with age the level of maturity and wisdom
reached. A judge is not a football player. That is physical
prowess is not a prime requisite," he said in an
Asked whether there should be an upper age limit of
retirement for an apex court judge, he said, "I am not
suggesting that. But retirement age of a judge should be much
Considering the increased longevity of human beings in
recent years, 65 years for a Supreme Court judge and 62 years
for a High Court judge to retire "in my opinion has been
Asked what he thought could be the retirement age for
judges, Justice Ganguly said it is for the authorities
concerned to do the research and come to opinion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand