Justice RM Lodha to be sworn-in as next Chief Justice of India
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Justice RM Lodha, the seniormost judge of the Supreme Court, has been recommended as the next Chief Justice of India, the Law Ministry said on Friday.
"In exercise of the powers conferred by clause (2) of Article 124 of the Constitution of India, the President is pleased to appoint Shri Justice Rajendra Mal Lodha, Judge of the Supreme Court, to be the Chief Justice of India with effect from April 27, 2014," a Law Ministry statement said here.
He will succeed Justice P Sathasivam, who retires on April 26. The CJI had sent the communication recommending Justice Lodha’s name to the Union Law Ministry.
According to reports, the recommendation would be processed and the notification for appointment would be issued within two weeks.
As per the Memorandum of Procedure which governs the appointment of members of the higher judiciary, appointment to the office of the Chief Justice of India should be of the seniormost judge of the Supreme Court considered fit to hold the office.
It stipulates that the Law Minister would, at the appropriate time, seek the recommendation of the outgoing Chief Justice of India for the appointment of the next CJI.
Under this process, after receipt of the recommendation of the CJI, the Law Minister puts it up to the Prime Minister who advises the President in the matter of appointment.
Born in Jodhpur, Lodha (64), the son of Justice SK Mal Lodha, former Judge of the Rajasthan High Court, took his law Degree from University of Jodhpur and enrolled with Bar Council of Rajasthan in 1973.
He started practicing Law in the Rajasthan High Court and dealt with all branches of law.
On January 31, 1994 he was elevated as Permanent Judge of Rajasthan High Court and was later transferred to the Bombay High Court where he assumed office on February 16, 1994.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof