Justice Sen`s impeachment moves a step forward
New Delhi: The process to remove Calcutta
High Court judge Justice Soumitra Sen on Friday moved a step
forward with the Lok Sabha being informed about the passage
of a motion in the Rajya Sabha to impeach him.
Lok Sabha Secretary General TK Viswanathan read out the
message from the Upper House for presenting to the President
the motion for removal of Justice Sen from office.
The motion is expected to be taken by the Lok Sabha on
August 24 and 25.
Creating history, Rajya Sabha yesterday overwhelmingly
approved the motion against Justice Sen, who could become the
country`s first judge to be removed for misconduct.
After a seven-hour impeachment process marked by a
brainstorming debate, 189 members of the 206 present in the
245-member Upper House voted in favour, recording well over
2/3rd majority required for such a move.
The impeachment, first time in the Rajya Sabha and second
in Parliament`s history, saw members of all parties, except
BSP, holding Sen guilty of misappropriating Rs 33.23 lakh in a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'