Justice Sen`s impeachment moves a step forward
New Delhi: The process to remove Calcutta
High Court judge Justice Soumitra Sen on Friday moved a step
forward with the Lok Sabha being informed about the passage
of a motion in the Rajya Sabha to impeach him.
Lok Sabha Secretary General TK Viswanathan read out the
message from the Upper House for presenting to the President
the motion for removal of Justice Sen from office.
The motion is expected to be taken by the Lok Sabha on
August 24 and 25.
Creating history, Rajya Sabha yesterday overwhelmingly
approved the motion against Justice Sen, who could become the
country`s first judge to be removed for misconduct.
After a seven-hour impeachment process marked by a
brainstorming debate, 189 members of the 206 present in the
245-member Upper House voted in favour, recording well over
2/3rd majority required for such a move.
The impeachment, first time in the Rajya Sabha and second
in Parliament`s history, saw members of all parties, except
BSP, holding Sen guilty of misappropriating Rs 33.23 lakh in a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Narshingh Yadav doping scandal: ‘Intruder’ who may have spiked wrestler's food identified?
- IMF says Egypt seeking financial support
- Pacer Kagiso Rabada scoops six South African awards
- French Open champ Garbine Muguruza withdraws from Montreal
- Olympics 2016: More Russians banned in mounting Rio toll