Justice Sen`s impeachment moves a step forward
New Delhi: The process to remove Calcutta
High Court judge Justice Soumitra Sen on Friday moved a step
forward with the Lok Sabha being informed about the passage
of a motion in the Rajya Sabha to impeach him.
Lok Sabha Secretary General TK Viswanathan read out the
message from the Upper House for presenting to the President
the motion for removal of Justice Sen from office.
The motion is expected to be taken by the Lok Sabha on
August 24 and 25.
Creating history, Rajya Sabha yesterday overwhelmingly
approved the motion against Justice Sen, who could become the
country`s first judge to be removed for misconduct.
After a seven-hour impeachment process marked by a
brainstorming debate, 189 members of the 206 present in the
245-member Upper House voted in favour, recording well over
2/3rd majority required for such a move.
The impeachment, first time in the Rajya Sabha and second
in Parliament`s history, saw members of all parties, except
BSP, holding Sen guilty of misappropriating Rs 33.23 lakh in a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends