Justice should be meted out in Tejpal case: Tharoor
Kochi: Union Minister Shashi Tharoor today said justice should be meted out in the sexual assault complaint by a woman journalist against Tehelka Editor Tarun Tejpal.
`Justice should be done. The judicial process is moving on. We don`t think that we can pre-judge either guilt or a judgement`, he told reporters on the sidelines of a function when asked about the Congress` stand on the issue.
`But if the charges are proven, certainly we will condemn any such conduct by anybody of any party unequivocally`, the Minister of State for HRD said.
`Congress stand consistently has been that any harassment of women, let alone as outrageous as sexual molestation, should never be condoned. There is no question about it`, he said.
`This is why we have consistently taken the position against the outrageous intrusion that the Gujarat Government conducted on the private life of a private individual`, he said referring to the snoopgate issue.
`Distorting norms, institutions in our society, that is a very serious issue. We are for zero tolerance when it comes to invading the space, the autonomy of women in our society. We are in the 21st century. This is not a time when they should be intruded upon`, he said.
Tharoor said the Gujarat Government had allegedly been spending money to conduct surveillance of a young woman which was a violation of privacy and subversion of various institutions, he said adding there was something `rotten` in that state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list