Justice Verma attacks former CJI
New Delhi: Former Chief Justice of India JS Verma on Saturday questioned the continunance of K G Balakrishnan
as NHRC Chairman when his predecessor was not not appointed to
that post because he faced allegations of corruption.
"See the somersault. (YK) Sabharwal was not
considered fit for NHRC chairmanship. Now Balakrishnan is
holding the post. The nature of allegations against Sabharwal
was much the same," Justice Verma said at a seminar on
Judicial Conduct and Accountability Bill.
He said both of them were facing identical
allegations that their kith and kin made assets during their
tenure as CJI and in such cases rule of law has the answer
that "if the material on record are sufficient to give rise to
suspicion why can an FIR not be filed against them".
Justice Verma said the allegations of corruption
against the former CJIs have brought the entire institution
"Unless the few persons, facing allegations, are
cleared or are punished, if proved guilty, the entire
community would be questioned," he said.
Justice Balakrishnan has been facing criticism over
allegations that members of his family have amassed wealth
disproportionate to their known sources of income while he was
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP