Justice Verma attacks former CJI
New Delhi: Former Chief Justice of India JS Verma on Saturday questioned the continunance of K G Balakrishnan
as NHRC Chairman when his predecessor was not not appointed to
that post because he faced allegations of corruption.
"See the somersault. (YK) Sabharwal was not
considered fit for NHRC chairmanship. Now Balakrishnan is
holding the post. The nature of allegations against Sabharwal
was much the same," Justice Verma said at a seminar on
Judicial Conduct and Accountability Bill.
He said both of them were facing identical
allegations that their kith and kin made assets during their
tenure as CJI and in such cases rule of law has the answer
that "if the material on record are sufficient to give rise to
suspicion why can an FIR not be filed against them".
Justice Verma said the allegations of corruption
against the former CJIs have brought the entire institution
"Unless the few persons, facing allegations, are
cleared or are punished, if proved guilty, the entire
community would be questioned," he said.
Justice Balakrishnan has been facing criticism over
allegations that members of his family have amassed wealth
disproportionate to their known sources of income while he was
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'