Justice Verma attacks former CJI
New Delhi: Former Chief Justice of India JS Verma on Saturday questioned the continunance of K G Balakrishnan
as NHRC Chairman when his predecessor was not not appointed to
that post because he faced allegations of corruption.
"See the somersault. (YK) Sabharwal was not
considered fit for NHRC chairmanship. Now Balakrishnan is
holding the post. The nature of allegations against Sabharwal
was much the same," Justice Verma said at a seminar on
Judicial Conduct and Accountability Bill.
He said both of them were facing identical
allegations that their kith and kin made assets during their
tenure as CJI and in such cases rule of law has the answer
that "if the material on record are sufficient to give rise to
suspicion why can an FIR not be filed against them".
Justice Verma said the allegations of corruption
against the former CJIs have brought the entire institution
"Unless the few persons, facing allegations, are
cleared or are punished, if proved guilty, the entire
community would be questioned," he said.
Justice Balakrishnan has been facing criticism over
allegations that members of his family have amassed wealth
disproportionate to their known sources of income while he was
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"
- JNU protest: Kejriwal hits out at PM Modi, says targetting innocents will prove costly to him