Justices Mishra, Goel and lawyer Nariman appointed SC judges
New Delhi: Chief Justices of Calcutta and Orissa High Courts, Arun Mishra and Adarsh Goel and eminent lawyer Rohinton Nariman, who were in the panel recommended by the Supreme Court collegium along with Gopal Subramanium, have been appointed as judges in the apex court.
Subramanium, a senior lawyer, withdrew his consent to be appointed as a judge of the Supreme Court after alleging that the government had ordered the CBI to
"scrounge" for "dirt" against him to scuttle his elevation.
The warrant of appointment has been issued and the three judges will take oath after June 30 when the Supreme Court reopens after summer vacation.
Justice Arun Mishra (58), who hails from Gwalior in Madhya Pradesh, was appointed judge of the Madhya Pradesh High Court in October 1999, and will have a tenure of about seven years.
Mishra has been the Chief Justice of Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Calcutta High Courts and has decided approximately 98,000 cases as judge in his three stints in
Justice Goel (60) hails from Haryana and was elevated as judge of the Punjab and Haryana High Court on July 2, 2001.
Nariman is the fifth lawyer to be elevated as a Supreme Court judge and will have a term of about seven years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre