Juvenile given life for murder gets relief from SC
New Delhi: A juvenile sentenced to life
imprisonment in a murder case has got relief after remaining
in jail for nine years as the Supreme Court ordered his
The issue of the accused being juvenile was brought to
the notice of the apex court while it was hearing his bail
plea during the pendency of the appeal challenging Madhya
Pradesh High Court decision convicting him in a murder case.
"The provisions of Juvenile Justice Act (JJA) squarely
applies to the juvenile. His case is to be considered not only
for grant of bail but also for release in terms of the Act,"
a bench comprising Justices Altamas Kabir and Cyriac Joseph
The juvenile had approached the apex court challenging
the verdict of Madhya Pradesh High Court which upheld his
conviction of the juvenile by the trial court at Dhar in 1994.
Contrary to the provisions of the JJA, a benevolent
legislation, the accused was tried by the lower court along
with other co-accused in a murder case, the court noted.
JJA provides for separate trial of a juvenile before the
Juvenile Justice Board (JJB), created under the Act, in case
they are co-accused for an offence with others who are major.
It also provides for that a juvenile cannot be kept under
detention for a period of more than three years.
Relying on the birth certificate issued by Chief Registrar
of Dhar district under the Registration Act, the
court said he was a juvenile at the time of committing the
"The claim of juvenility under the JJA can be raised
before the court at any stage even after final disposal of the
case," the bench said adding the court is required to send
such juveniles to JJB instead of passing any sentence if they
are found to be minors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH