Jyoti Basu not to be cremated; body to be given to hospital
Kolkata: Marxist patriarch Jyoti Basu will not be cremated but his body will be handed over Tuesday to a state-run hospital as he had donated his body, the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) announced on Sunday.
Basu`s body, now preserved in a funeral parlour, Peace Heaven, will be taken in a procession on Tuesday to State Secretariat Writers` Building and then to the West Bengal Assembly, where it will be kept for the public to pay homage.
Finally, the body will be handed over to the SSKM Hospital, said CPI-M state secretary Biman Bose.
Giving details of Basu`s last journey, Bose said at 9.30 am Tuesday, Basu`s body will be taken to Writers` Building, from where he ruled the state as chief minister from 1977-2000.
At 10.30 am, the body will be taken to the state Assembly, and kept there till 2.30 pm.
"Important dignitaries and the masses can pay their tributes only at the Assembly," Bose said.
The CPI-M leader`s body will then be brought to the party`s state headquarters at Alimuddin Street and kept there till 4.00 pm for the party leaders to pay their last respects.
The last journey will start at 4.00 pm and traverse AJC Bose Road, Shakespeare Sarani, Cathedral Road, Harish Mukherjee Road before terminating at the SSKM hospital.
All members of the CPI-M politburo and central committee will attend the last journey.
Basu was the last surviving member of the party`s first politburo.
A condolence book will be kept open at the Alimuddin Street office for people to pay their condolences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest