Jyoti Basu` s condition worsens, on dialysis
Kolkata: CPI-M patriarch Jyoti Basu was
put on haemo-dialysis today after further deterioration in his
cardiac and renal functions, doctors attending on him said.
"The cardiovascular system has further deteriorated.
His cardiac and renal functions have undergone further
deterioration and he has been put on haemo-dialysis since 6.30
pm," a medical bulletin quoted D N Agarwal, executive director
of AMRI Hospital, where Basu was admitted on January one with
pneumonia, as saying.
"After monitoring the haemo-dialysis for four hours to
clear accumulated toxins in the blood, the doctors will be in
a position to say whether he is able to accept it," he said.
Haemo-dialysis is done to remove waste products from
the blood by passing it out of the body, through a filtering
system (dialyser), and returning it to the body.
According to Agarwal, the 95-year-old leader`s
condition was very critical and his oxygen requirement has
further increased on ventilator support.
He was also requiring increased dose of blood pressure
stabilising Ionotrops, he said.
Earlier, AMRI Hospital doctor Susruth Banerjee and
Basu`s personal physician A K Maity, both of whom are on the
medical board treating the former chief minister, said he was
heading for multi-organ failure.
There was a also large mobilisation of police near the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India