Jyoti Basu` s condition worsens, on dialysis
Kolkata: CPI-M patriarch Jyoti Basu was
put on haemo-dialysis today after further deterioration in his
cardiac and renal functions, doctors attending on him said.
"The cardiovascular system has further deteriorated.
His cardiac and renal functions have undergone further
deterioration and he has been put on haemo-dialysis since 6.30
pm," a medical bulletin quoted D N Agarwal, executive director
of AMRI Hospital, where Basu was admitted on January one with
pneumonia, as saying.
"After monitoring the haemo-dialysis for four hours to
clear accumulated toxins in the blood, the doctors will be in
a position to say whether he is able to accept it," he said.
Haemo-dialysis is done to remove waste products from
the blood by passing it out of the body, through a filtering
system (dialyser), and returning it to the body.
According to Agarwal, the 95-year-old leader`s
condition was very critical and his oxygen requirement has
further increased on ventilator support.
He was also requiring increased dose of blood pressure
stabilising Ionotrops, he said.
Earlier, AMRI Hospital doctor Susruth Banerjee and
Basu`s personal physician A K Maity, both of whom are on the
medical board treating the former chief minister, said he was
heading for multi-organ failure.
There was a also large mobilisation of police near the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie