`Kailash Mansarovar Yatra likely to be cancelled`
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Central government is likely to cancel the ongoing Kailash Mansarovar Yatra this year as the weather continues to remain bad in Uttarakhand.
In June also, the government had cancelled the Kailash Manasarovar Yatra of batches 2 to 10 due to torrential rains and flood in Uttarakhand that caused heavy damage to the route.
The Yatra, held from June 9 to September 9, is organised by the External Affairs Ministry. This year, 18 batches, each with a maximum of 60 yatris, were planned to be sent for the Yatra.
The Yatra involves trekking at high altitudes of up to 19,500 feet, under inhospitable conditions, including extreme cold and rugged terrains.
The Yatra is undertaken by hundreds of people every year. In 2012, a record number of 774 Yatris had undertaken the Yatra.
Each batch takes 22 days to complete the Yatra. Out of these, 14 days are in Indian territory and eight days are inside the Chinese territory of Tibet.
The total distance of this Yatra is 647 km (one side) in the Indian territory and 243 km (one side) inside the Chinese territory.
(With agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price