`Kailash Mansarovar Yatra likely to be cancelled`
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Central government is likely to cancel the ongoing Kailash Mansarovar Yatra this year as the weather continues to remain bad in Uttarakhand.
In June also, the government had cancelled the Kailash Manasarovar Yatra of batches 2 to 10 due to torrential rains and flood in Uttarakhand that caused heavy damage to the route.
The Yatra, held from June 9 to September 9, is organised by the External Affairs Ministry. This year, 18 batches, each with a maximum of 60 yatris, were planned to be sent for the Yatra.
The Yatra involves trekking at high altitudes of up to 19,500 feet, under inhospitable conditions, including extreme cold and rugged terrains.
The Yatra is undertaken by hundreds of people every year. In 2012, a record number of 774 Yatris had undertaken the Yatra.
Each batch takes 22 days to complete the Yatra. Out of these, 14 days are in Indian territory and eight days are inside the Chinese territory of Tibet.
The total distance of this Yatra is 647 km (one side) in the Indian territory and 243 km (one side) inside the Chinese territory.
(With agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- DNA: Why no voice is being raised in favour of Kashmiri Pandits?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city