`Kailash Mansarovar Yatra likely to be cancelled`
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Central government is likely to cancel the ongoing Kailash Mansarovar Yatra this year as the weather continues to remain bad in Uttarakhand.
In June also, the government had cancelled the Kailash Manasarovar Yatra of batches 2 to 10 due to torrential rains and flood in Uttarakhand that caused heavy damage to the route.
The Yatra, held from June 9 to September 9, is organised by the External Affairs Ministry. This year, 18 batches, each with a maximum of 60 yatris, were planned to be sent for the Yatra.
The Yatra involves trekking at high altitudes of up to 19,500 feet, under inhospitable conditions, including extreme cold and rugged terrains.
The Yatra is undertaken by hundreds of people every year. In 2012, a record number of 774 Yatris had undertaken the Yatra.
Each batch takes 22 days to complete the Yatra. Out of these, 14 days are in Indian territory and eight days are inside the Chinese territory of Tibet.
The total distance of this Yatra is 647 km (one side) in the Indian territory and 243 km (one side) inside the Chinese territory.
(With agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands