‘Kalaignar TV got Rs 52 cr from fictitious firms’
New Delhi: The Kalaignar TV, promoted by the family of former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi, had allegedly received Rs 52 crore from 18 Kolakata-based firms which are suspected to be "fictitious" and a probe is underway to ascertain their antecedents, the JPC was told on Wednesday.
Appearing before the Parliamentary Committee probing the 2G scam, Central Board of Direct Taxes Chairman Lakshman Dass and other senior officials said Rs 52 crore were allegedly received by the TV channel to help it repay loan to the tune of Rs 200 crore taken from various sources in lieu of shares which were never allotted.
During the three-hour-long meeting of the committee where Revenue Secretary R S Gujral also appeared, its members slammed the CBDT and the IT department over its "snail`s pace" of probe when they said that out of nine companies, assessment had been completed of only two companies - Reliance Telecom and Tata Realty and Infra Ltd.
The panel was assured that the probe will be completed by March, 2013.
The CBDT said it was looking into the antecedents of 17-18 Kolkata-based companies for allegedly helping Kalaignar TV repay the Rs 200 it had collected for its shares which were actually not allotted. The company had allegedly collected the money from various sources, the JPC was told.
"But in that, there is a deficit of Rs 52 crore which comes from a few companies of Kolkata. Those companies` details are not available to the CBDT. Their balance sheets are not available to Income Tax. That`s a major lacunae in the returns submitted to the IT dept," JPC chief P C Chacko told reporters quoting the CBDT presentation.
He said CBDT and Income Tax department doubt that these companies are "fictitious".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur