Kalam gives pass marks to Indian democracy
New Delhi: Former president APJ Abdul Kalam on Friday gave "pass marks" to the over six-decade old Indian democracy awarding it "five points on a scale of 10", while observing that its fundamental principle to empower citizens will stay forever.
Kalam also appreciated the financial expertise of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, while applauding Atal Bihari Vajpayee for his fast decision making ability.
The former President was a Conclave here and delivered a lecture on the topic of "Reinventing democracy: The youth experiment".
In reply to a question on how would he rate the performance of Indian democracy on a scale of 10, he said, "When I see from 1947 to 2013, we have a Constitution as a dynamic step for taking the democracy on... Answering your question I put five out of 10."
When asked further that it does not indicate a very good performance, he said, "Well, pass mark."
In reply to another question where he was asked to name one political leader of his choice, Kalam said, "Manmohan Singhji an expert in the field of finance. No doubt to that he is an expert in the field. So, I value his judgement in economy and all, any suggestion to major issues and I have got that respect for him. Vajpayee takes fast decision. These are two differences. I hope both are complimentary," he said.
Kalam recalled that he spent his tenure as President with both Singh and Vajpayee.
"I worked with two Prime Ministers as the President. I have worked with Vajpayeeji and Manmohan Singhji. 50 per cent with Vajpayeeji and 50 per cent with Manmohan Singh," he said.
In his speech, Kalam said the empowered minds of youths are the biggest powers for a nation and under a democracy they want a faster growth for the country.
"Nation is bigger than political system... Let`s evolve into a society that respects and celebrates differences tolerant to other beliefs, culture & tastes. In a democracy, every citizen has the right live with dignity & aspire for distinction," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam