Kalam remembers 100-year-old `friend`
New Delhi: Former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam on World Environment Day Saturday remembered his "friend" Arjuna, a 100-year-old tree, in his official residence at 10, Rajaji Marg here.
Addressing a function at Vigyan Bhawan here, Kalam said the tree, botanically called Terminalia, is his "biodiversity friend".
"I have a great tree, it is my friend and my biodiversity friend and also friend of the young. The age of the tree and that of my parents are almost the same. My father lived 103 years and my mother 90 plus," he said.
"You can ask me, one single tree of 100 years old, can it become a living post for biodiversity. I say firmly yes," he said.
Asking people to plant trees, Kalam said: "I have a suggestion to you friends to organise with all the state governments, state wise, how many million trees they have to plant in two years` time, so that the mission of `billion trees for billion people` will become a reality for the nation."
Kalam said environment and biodiversity conservation will indeed be a collective mission of the 21st century for the humanity, across cities, states, nations and continents.
"Wherever you are, whatever you do, you can certainly make a difference to the environment and conserving biodiversity. It may be home, may be school or college or it may be work centre or walking path on the road or garden," he added.
Kalam made the students present at the ceremony to take an oath to plant and nurture 10 trees per year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared