Kalam should not contest Prez poll: Omar Abdullah
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah today said A P J Abdul Kalam should not contest the Presidential poll as election of Pranab Mukherjee was almost certain.
"Kalam has been a very successful President and has won hearts of the people as the President. It does not befit him to contest the elections when his chances of winning are almost next to zero," Omar told reporters here.
The NC leader said Finance Minister and UPA nominee Pranab Mukherjee was well on course to be the next President.
"The way support is pouring in for Mukherjee, his victory is almost certain," he said.
In a tweet yesterday, Omar congratulated Mukherjee on his nomination as the UPA candidate and expressed hope that he would make an excellent President.
Omar has already pledged support of his National Conference, which has five MPs and 28 MLAs in the state Assembly, to the UPA nominee for the July 19 presidential election.
The Chief Minister said his West Bengal counterpart Mamata Banerjee should support Mukherjee as Trinamool Congress was part of the ruling alliance at the Centre.
"I am no one to advise Mamata ji what she should do or what she should not...But she should support the UPA nominee as she is part of the alliance," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview