Kalam should not contest Prez poll: Omar Abdullah
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah today said A P J Abdul Kalam should not contest the Presidential poll as election of Pranab Mukherjee was almost certain.
"Kalam has been a very successful President and has won hearts of the people as the President. It does not befit him to contest the elections when his chances of winning are almost next to zero," Omar told reporters here.
The NC leader said Finance Minister and UPA nominee Pranab Mukherjee was well on course to be the next President.
"The way support is pouring in for Mukherjee, his victory is almost certain," he said.
In a tweet yesterday, Omar congratulated Mukherjee on his nomination as the UPA candidate and expressed hope that he would make an excellent President.
Omar has already pledged support of his National Conference, which has five MPs and 28 MLAs in the state Assembly, to the UPA nominee for the July 19 presidential election.
The Chief Minister said his West Bengal counterpart Mamata Banerjee should support Mukherjee as Trinamool Congress was part of the ruling alliance at the Centre.
"I am no one to advise Mamata ji what she should do or what she should not...But she should support the UPA nominee as she is part of the alliance," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read