Kalam should not contest Prez poll: Omar Abdullah
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah today said A P J Abdul Kalam should not contest the Presidential poll as election of Pranab Mukherjee was almost certain.
"Kalam has been a very successful President and has won hearts of the people as the President. It does not befit him to contest the elections when his chances of winning are almost next to zero," Omar told reporters here.
The NC leader said Finance Minister and UPA nominee Pranab Mukherjee was well on course to be the next President.
"The way support is pouring in for Mukherjee, his victory is almost certain," he said.
In a tweet yesterday, Omar congratulated Mukherjee on his nomination as the UPA candidate and expressed hope that he would make an excellent President.
Omar has already pledged support of his National Conference, which has five MPs and 28 MLAs in the state Assembly, to the UPA nominee for the July 19 presidential election.
The Chief Minister said his West Bengal counterpart Mamata Banerjee should support Mukherjee as Trinamool Congress was part of the ruling alliance at the Centre.
"I am no one to advise Mamata ji what she should do or what she should not...But she should support the UPA nominee as she is part of the alliance," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30