`Kali was always worshipped with liquor`
Kolkata: An American brewery faced widespread criticism and protests from the Hindu community after it named its latest drink after goddess Kali, but ironically enough liquor is one of the essential offerings made to a deity widely worshipped throughout Bengal and symbolises feminine energy.
Indologist Manab Chatterjee said the use of liquor in worship has been mentioned in the "Niruttara Tantra", a compilation of exotic rituals belonging to the Kali class of Tantra, a religious cult that seeks to tap divine power in each individual.
"The fifteenth chapter of the Niruttara Tantra deals with the `Panchamakara`, known as the five Ms, and used in `Vamachara` rites. These are madya (wine), mamsa (flesh), mina (fish), mudra (money) and maithuna (sexual intercourse)," said Chatterjee.
Vamachara, a Sanskrit term generally translated to mean "left-hand" achievement, refers to a particular mode of worship which is at considerable variance from standard Vedic practice.
"The sadhaka (devotee), at night, sits with his Shakti to his left, doing the various types of Nyasa first. The chapter gives the rules of puja and, towards the end, enumerates the ten Mahavidyas or the ten avatars of Kali," said Chatterjee.
Nyasa is the conscious act of touching or placing the fingers or hands on sacred, sensitive, or medicinally active points of the body. In Hindu tantric meditations and pujas, the practitioner lays his hands on himself in each of these places in special sequences.
"Liquor is an essential element in worshipping the goddess who symbolises shakti (power) and destruction. Liquor signifies strong emotion and it is consumed as `prasadam` after being offered to the deity," said Indologist Purba Sengupta.
Another Indologist, Dipak Mukherjee, also said that Tantriks and Aghoris use wine in worshipping the goddess.
"Tantriks and Aghoris use wine to worship the goddess, but it was unsuitable for the wine company to use the name of the goddess to promote their product," Mukherjee said.
The Burnside Brewing Company of Portland, Oregon, had apologised and said it has postponed launch of the Kali-Ma beer. The company also plans to rename the product.
The issue was raised in Parliament by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) which even demanded that the government summon the American envoy on the issue.
This is not the first time Hindu gods have been used by foreign companies to promote their products, leading to protests from the Hindu community. In 2007, Hindus in Odisha had protested against the US-based clothing and accessories portal Cafepress.com which had a series of undergarments with images of Hindu deities on it.
In 2008, supermodel Heidi Klum had created controversy by dressing up as Kali for a Halloween party in a club at New York.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA