`Kalmadi, others pre-decided to award contract to Swiss firm`
New Delhi: The CBI on Monday told a Delhi court that sacked Organising Committee (OC) chairman Suresh Kalmadi and others had decided to award the contract for installing the Timing, Scoring and Results system for the 2010 Commonwealth Games to Swiss Timing even before it bid for it.
Advancing arguments on framing of charges in the case, CBI prosecutor V K Sharma said Kalmadi and other co-accused former OC Secretary General Lalit Bhanot, Director General VK Verma and Joint Director General (Sports) ASV Prasad were "pressurising" that contract should be given to Swiss Timing.
The prosecutor referred to the statements of prosecution witnesses made before the CBI and said co-accused PD Arya and AK Madan, the promoters of Faridabad-based Gem International, were visiting CWG organising committee since January 2009 for the contract and they used to convince officials that Swiss Timing was a "good company".
The prosecutor also argued that two bids were received for TSR contract from Swiss Timing and MSL Spain and the same were opened on November 4, 2009 but Kalmadi and Verma had on October 12, 2009 announced in a meeting that the contract would be awarded to Swiss Timing.
"One of the prosecution witnesses had said that Verma had announced the decision to give the contract to the Swiss firm on October 12, 2009 in the general assembly meeting with the representatives of Commonwealth Games federation. When Verma was making the announcement of the contract, Kalmadi was also sitting on the dias," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre