Kalmadi unlikely to be stripped of responsibilities
New Delhi: Notwithstanding the
controversies surrounding him, Suresh Kalmadi is unlikely to
be stripped of his responsibilities of conducting the October
This sense emerged today at a meeting chaired by Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh on the Games where Kalmadi stressed
that the event should be allowed to get over after which he
would be ready to face any investigation, sources said.
At the meeting, Kalmadi said the controversies
surrounding the CWG Organising Committee had demoralised
officials who were not even ready to sign papers, the sources
Kalmadi and some other top officials of the OC have been
mired in allegations of corruption and other irregularities,
prompting the Prime Minister to step in and review the
preparedness for the event starting on October 3.
However, at the moment, the government does not want to
remove Kalmadi as head of OC as he has been associated with
the Games so far and has experience of conducting such events,
the sources said.
Emerging from the 90-minute meeting, Kalmadi said that
there was "no pressure" on him to quit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- China's state media calls LeT 'Pak-based military group', downplays boycott call of Chinese goods in Indian markets
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media