Kalmadi`s arrested aide remanded to CBI custody
New Delhi: Former Commonwealth Games
organising committee Chairman Suresh Kalmadi`s close aide
Shekhar Deorukhkar was on Saturday remanded by a court here to five
days of CBI custody in a multi-crore rupee overlays scam in
connection with last year`s mega sporting event.
Shekhar, arrested by the probe agency from Pune
yesterday, was produced at the residence of special CBI Judge
O P Saini who remanded him to custody till February 17.
Deorukhkar is the fifth person to be arrested in the scam
in which nearly Rs 600 crore worth contracts relating to the
Games` overlays project are under the scanner of various
The arrest of the Congress MP`s personal assistant came
after the investigating agency had registered a fresh
case in award of contracts for overlays at different venues
for the Games at allegedly exorbitant rates.
CBI had earlier arrested three senior CWG officials T
S Darbari, Sanjay Mohindroo and M Jayachandran. All the three
were subsequently granted bail. Beenu Nanu, the head of two
event management companies, was the fourth person to be picked
Overlays works included supply of tents, marquees,
pre-fabricated units, portable toilets, containers, security
fences, furniture, public display LED boards, floor finishes,
material handling equipment, gensets, cabling, UPS,
air-conditioners, lighting, civil construction, athletic
exercise equipment and grandstands.
The agency had conducted a number of searches in certain
premises across the country early in January in connection
with the scam in the Games, including those of an officer
under Union Sports Ministry.
The overlays contracts are also under the scanner of
the Income Tax Department and the Enforcement Directorate.
CBI had earlier registered three FIRs for alleged
corruption in the projects and events in the run up to the
Two of these cases were in connection with alleged
irregularities in the Queen`s Baton Relay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch