Kalpakkam nuke plant is safe: DAE official
Chennai: Seeking to allay concerns of anti-
nuclear activists over the safety of the reactors at Kalpakkam
Atomic Power Station near here, a senior Department of Atomic
Energy official on Saturday said the reactors were "safe" and there
was no need for any "unfounded fear".
"People have got fear in their minds about the safety
concerns. There is no need for any unfounded fear. Our
reactors are safe and are much better than any industry,"
Prabhat Kumar, project director, Bhavini Project in Kalpakkam
Atomic Power Station told agency.
He brushed aside the claims that some health issues in
the vicinity are triggered due to the presence of the plant in
"There are allegations that some health problems such as
thyroid and cancer are there because of this plant. There is
no such thing. Doctors can prove that our plant is safe. The
air, food, milk, water and everything in this area is clean
and is not affected by this plant," Kumar said.
Asked about the concern about the possibility of tsunami
hitting the plant, he said, "Even if that happens, we have
enough time to react to it. In 2004, a 9.1 Richter scale
associated tsunami hit near the plant. But, the water did not
enter the plant and we were safe."
Admitting that the DAE had more to "explain" to the
people, since many were "either misinformed or not informed",
he said "we will try to spread the awareness in this".
His comments comes a day after Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh informed a Tamil Nadu delegation that a high-level panel
will look into the safety concerns of the locals around
Koodankulam Nuclear Power Station under the Indo-Russian joint
The delegation, that included representatives from
AIADMK, Congress, CPI and Samathuva Makkal Katchi and a local
committee against the Koodamkulam plant, had met Singh and
expressed concern over safety of the project.
Anti nuclear campaigners are also seeking "gradual phase
out" of Kalpakkam nuclear project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?