Kamal Nath accuses BJP of doublespeak on ordinance
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) during the all-party meeting had supported the ordinance that proposes to protect convicted lawmakers and has changed stand after Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi raised the issue, Union Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath said here on Wednesday.
"In the business advisory committee meeting in the Rajya Sabha, they (BJP) had unanimously agreed to the ordinance and so it was introduced in the Rajya Sabha," he said.
Flashing a copy of the minutes of the meeting, Kamal Nath said: "It is unfortunate that ever since Rahul Gandhi raised the matter, the BJP has taken a different stand. This is the old style of BJP`s functioning to say one thing in the public and another in private."
The Parliamentary Affairs Minister said the Cabinet will be discussing the ordinance on Wednesday evening.
"The Ordinance was passed by the Cabinet based on the decision of the all-party meeting and now the Cabinet will meet to take a final call," he said.
Rahul Gandhi earlier rubbished the ordinance, saying that it was "complete nonsense" and should be "torn up and thrown away".
The remark created a political storm, with the BJP demanding that the prime minister should step down.
Manmohan Singh said on Tuesday he would not quit over the perceived undermining of his authority and that of his Cabinet by Rahul Gandhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video