Kamal Nath to speak on Kurien issue in Rajya Sabha
New Delhi: Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath is likely to make a statement on Friday in the Rajya Sabha on the controversy surrounding PJ Kurien, deputy chairman of the upper house, sources said on Thursday.
According to government sources, Kamal Nath met floor leaders of the upper house and tried to convince the Left parties not to make an issue of the allegations against Kurien.
Kurien`s name has been dragged into the 17-year-old Suryanelli rape case in Kerala and the Left opposition has been demanding a fresh investigation in the case and a debate on the issue in the Upper House.
The government may agree to a debate, said sources.
The Congress has been defending Kurien, saying the Supreme Court had cleared him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why