Kamal Nath to speak on Kurien issue in Rajya Sabha
New Delhi: Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath is likely to make a statement on Friday in the Rajya Sabha on the controversy surrounding PJ Kurien, deputy chairman of the upper house, sources said on Thursday.
According to government sources, Kamal Nath met floor leaders of the upper house and tried to convince the Left parties not to make an issue of the allegations against Kurien.
Kurien`s name has been dragged into the 17-year-old Suryanelli rape case in Kerala and the Left opposition has been demanding a fresh investigation in the case and a debate on the issue in the Upper House.
The government may agree to a debate, said sources.
The Congress has been defending Kurien, saying the Supreme Court had cleared him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi says 'happy to be targeted' as AgustaWestland deal continues to haunt Congress
- GOING VIRAL: Have you seen this 'love story' ad on PM Narendra Modi's ambitious 'Swachh Bharat' campaign? WATCH
- Transit of Mercury, May 9, 2016: Where, when and how to watch in India!
- Hrithik Roshan shares video where Katrina Kaif is singing! Watch it now
- IPL 2016: Kolkata Knight Riders' Yusuf Pathan slams Sunil Gavaskar for calling RCB's bowling line-up as 'popatwadi attack'