Kamalesh Sharma elected chancellor of UK University
London: Kamalesh Sharma, Secretary-General of the Commonwealth and India`s former high commissioner to Britain, has been appointed as the new chancellor of the Queen`s University Belfast (QUB).
He succeeds Senator George Mitchell, who stepped down in March.
Sharma retired from the Indian Foreign Service in 2001.
From 2002 to 2004 he was the UN Secretary General`s Special Representative to East Timor. He was appointed India`s High Commissioner in London in 2004 before his election as Secretary-General of the Commonwealth in 2007.
Pro-Chancellor Sir David Fell, chair of the university`s governing body which made the appointment, said, "Kamalesh Sharma is a worthy successor to Senator Mitchell. He
is an exceptional figure who has served his country at the highest level and whose leadership skills have been recognised by the 53 member states which make up the Commonwealth.”
"As High Commissioner in London, he cemented close links between Northern Ireland and India - it is a relationship which has resulted in India becoming the second largest inward investor in the Northern Ireland economy."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!