Kamath asks BJP to drop plan to hoist tricolour at Lal Chowk
New Delhi: Newly appointed Minister of State for Home Gurudas Kamath today appealed to BJP to abandon its plan to hoist the tricolour at Srinagar`s Lal Chowk on Republic Day as part of its `Ekta Yatra`, saying the move would only disturb peace in the sensitive state.
Claiming that the opposition party was only trying to take political mileage out of `Ekta Yatra`, Kamath asked the BJP not to do "politics" over Jammu and Kashmir.
"BJP`s move will only disturb peace and harmony and harm country`s unity and integrity," he told reporters after taking charge at his new office in the Home Ministry.
Kamath was escorted to his new office by his senior Ministerial colleague P Chidambaram.
The BJP`s Rashtriya Ekta Yatra from Kolkata will culminate in Srinagar on January 26 with hoisting of the tricolour at Lal Chowk. Several organisations and persons, including Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Omar Abdullah, have asked BJP not to go ahead with the programme.
Kamath said he would soon visit all Maoist-hit areas to get an on-the-spot assessment of the situation there.
He said the Maoist problem could be handled only through the two-pronged strategy of development and police action.
Asked about the alleged involvement of some right wing organisations and activists in terror acts, he said the investigating agencies were conducting the probe and a final opinion could be made only after getting the reports.
"It is not a happy situation. Anyone taking the road of extremism only hampers the economic progress and development of the country," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'