`Kanchi Mutt ready to take on restoration of Kedarnath temple`
Kanchipuram: Kanchi Mutt head Jeyendra Saraswati on Thursday said the Mutt is fully prepared to take on the restoration of the Shiva temple of Kedarnath, ravaged by floods.
"The Mutt has made arrangements to assess the nature and damage to the temple, if any. The temple which is a monument of our country`s heritage and cultural richness, should not be tampered with. The fact that it withstood the natural calamity all round itself is proof of its sanctity," he told a news agency.
The eighth century shrine at Kedarnath in Uttarakhand withstood the ravage of the cloudbursts and floods that swept away its neighbourhood and much of the town last month.
He said the Mutt has informed the Uttarakhand government that it is willing to take the assistance of Archaeological Survey of India or any other religious institution for reconstruction.
The Acharya said he was happy that the `misguided` idea of relocating the temple mooted by some persons had been abandoned as such an exercise would have been very harmful.
Jayendra Saraswathi recalled having gone on many pilgrimages to Kedarnath, sometimes on foot and said he himself had installed a metal idol of Lord Shiva there.
He said the tradition of bringing the movable idol of Lord Shiva to Ukthi Mutt Omkareswarar temple in the plains may continue as usual during winter when there is a ban on pilgrims` travel due to paths being blocked by snow. The idol is taken back to the temple after May, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE