`Kanchi Mutt ready to take on restoration of Kedarnath temple`
Kanchipuram: Kanchi Mutt head Jeyendra Saraswati on Thursday said the Mutt is fully prepared to take on the restoration of the Shiva temple of Kedarnath, ravaged by floods.
"The Mutt has made arrangements to assess the nature and damage to the temple, if any. The temple which is a monument of our country`s heritage and cultural richness, should not be tampered with. The fact that it withstood the natural calamity all round itself is proof of its sanctity," he told a news agency.
The eighth century shrine at Kedarnath in Uttarakhand withstood the ravage of the cloudbursts and floods that swept away its neighbourhood and much of the town last month.
He said the Mutt has informed the Uttarakhand government that it is willing to take the assistance of Archaeological Survey of India or any other religious institution for reconstruction.
The Acharya said he was happy that the `misguided` idea of relocating the temple mooted by some persons had been abandoned as such an exercise would have been very harmful.
Jayendra Saraswathi recalled having gone on many pilgrimages to Kedarnath, sometimes on foot and said he himself had installed a metal idol of Lord Shiva there.
He said the tradition of bringing the movable idol of Lord Shiva to Ukthi Mutt Omkareswarar temple in the plains may continue as usual during winter when there is a ban on pilgrims` travel due to paths being blocked by snow. The idol is taken back to the temple after May, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?