Kandhamal riots case: 13 convicted, 17 acquitted
Phulbani (Orissa): A fast track court here
today convicted 13 people for arson and other crimes in cases
of rioting in Orissa`s Kandhamal district in 2008 and sent
them to five years of imprisonment, even as it let off 17
others for lack of evidence.
Fast Track Court-I Judge Sobhan Kumar Das also imposed a
fine of Rs 2,500 on the convicts for torching of houses in
Sarangarh area in the district between August and October,
The court acquitted 17 others for lack of evidence, while
18 others were acquitted in another case of arson at Phiringia
In another case, the court sentenced two persons to
rigorous imprisonment for five-year and imposed a fine of Rs
2,000 on each of them for arson at Ranjabadi village in
Tikabali area in the district.
Fast Track Court-II Judge C R Das acquitted four persons
for violence in Baliguda area of the district.
Kandhamal, about 200 km from here, witnessed widespread
violence following murder of VHP leader Swami Laxmanananda
Saraswati on August 23, 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam