Kandhamal riots case: 13 convicted, 17 acquitted
Phulbani (Orissa): A fast track court here
today convicted 13 people for arson and other crimes in cases
of rioting in Orissa`s Kandhamal district in 2008 and sent
them to five years of imprisonment, even as it let off 17
others for lack of evidence.
Fast Track Court-I Judge Sobhan Kumar Das also imposed a
fine of Rs 2,500 on the convicts for torching of houses in
Sarangarh area in the district between August and October,
The court acquitted 17 others for lack of evidence, while
18 others were acquitted in another case of arson at Phiringia
In another case, the court sentenced two persons to
rigorous imprisonment for five-year and imposed a fine of Rs
2,000 on each of them for arson at Ranjabadi village in
Tikabali area in the district.
Fast Track Court-II Judge C R Das acquitted four persons
for violence in Baliguda area of the district.
Kandhamal, about 200 km from here, witnessed widespread
violence following murder of VHP leader Swami Laxmanananda
Saraswati on August 23, 2008.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living